TRU Inter Service Transfer
Salary: Competent Firefighter
We are pleased to confirm that GMFRS Inter Service Transfer process for Competent Whole-time Firefighters to work on GMFRS’s Technical Response Unit (TRU) will be live until 10am on Wednesday 20th February 2019.
This application will be open to all existing Whole-time Competent Firefighters from current UK Fire and Rescue Services.
· This is for substantive transfers only and is not a promotion process.
· This application is solely for a position within the TRU only.
· All successful applicants will be placed at either of our TRU Stations only (Ashton or Leigh).
About the role:
We currently have vacancies at the two Technical Response Unit stations for Firefighters (Ashton & Leigh). This role will require a commitment of 3 years to be made to the TRU, due to the training and financial investment required by GMFRS in line with the development needs of the role.
Please include all evidence of any skills or experience you think may be relevant when completing your application. Please also make it known if you have previous qualifications in any of the following:
· Rope Operator (Rescue 3, Lyon, Outreach, IRATA)
· Swift Water Technician (Rescue 3, Outreach)
· Confined Space Operator/Supervisor (City and Guilds)
· Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) 1/2 (National Resilience)
· Timber Shoring (National Resilience)
· Chainsaw Operator (City and Guilds, LANTRA)
· Heavy Rescue
· Winch Operator
· Emergency Fire Appliance Driver (EFAD/Blue light response driver)
About you / what you need:
• Currently a Competent Whole-time Firefighter within a UK Fire and Rescue Service.
• Line management endorsement which can be provided via a formal reference (minimum role of Middle Manager e.g. Station Manager or above).
• Have a basic swimming ability and water confidence that will enable you to work safely in water rescue situations. (Must be able to demonstrate if required)
· Must have confidence in working at height.
• Eligible to live and work in the UK.
• Be able to demonstrate reading, writing and numerical skills to meet the requirements of the role.
• To be able to re-locate to live within the 10 local authorities of Greater Manchester or to manage your own travel, without effecting your commitments to the role requirements.
• Commit to a 4 week training course at GMFRS Bury Training Centre, starting on Monday 22nd April 2019.
• Understand there is a 3-year minimum commitment to the TRU role and that you will be placed at either of the two TRU Stations (Ashton or Leigh).
What you can expect from us:
GMFRS is one of the largest and busiest Fire and Rescue Services outside London with over 2,000 members of staff and 41 fire stations. We cover an area of approximately 500 square miles and a culturally diverse population of 2.5 million people. With an international airport serving over 200 destinations, a major motorway network plus over 200 train and tram stations. Greater Manchester County presents some of the most operationally varied challenges you will find.
GMFRS has recently invested in 2-new Technical Response Unit (TRU) appliances and continues to invest in the latest equipment and training for all personnel.
Please be aware that as of 8th May 2017 Great Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority is now part of Greater Manchester Combined Authority, under the 2014 Devolution Agreement. From this date, all employees fall under Greater Manchester Combined Authority.
Advert Closes – Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 10am
Shortlisting – Thursday 21st & Friday 22nd February 2019
Assessment centre - Week commencing 25th February 2019
On-Boarding Days – All on-boarding days (Documentation Check, Uniform Fitting, Medical etc.) will be held throughout March.
Course Start Date – Monday 22nd April 2019
For more information about us, our competency or values framework and the work we deliver across our local communities, please visit our website: www.manchesterfire.gov.uk
If you have any questions or are unsure about anything, please email GMCApeople@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk with the title ‘TRU Recruitment Query’ in the subject heading.
10 00 am
20th Feb 2019