Salford City Council
Salford Civic Centre
ASYE Social Workers
Grade: Level 1 (3B), up to £32,909 per annum full time salary
Working Hours: Up to 36 hours per week, flexible working
Contract Type: Permanent subject to successful completion of your Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE)
Closing Date: 31st January 2023 at 12 Noon
This post will be subject to a £1000 recruitment payment
Our ASYE Academy has been operating since September 2021. During that time we have successfully supported a number of cohorts of newly qualified social workers, our “workforce of the future” as they embark on their Social Work career pathway in Salford.
We are rated as “Good” by Ofsted but we aspire to be “outstanding” and we are committed to investing in our newly qualified Social Workers and are currently recruiting a further cohort of Newly Qualified Social Workers to join our ASYE Academy.
Our commitment to you:
• A strong Management team in our Academy consisting of a Practice Manager, 2 experienced Advanced Social Workers, and a named mentor who will support you throughout your ASYE year.
• A self contained structure where you will spend at least the first 3 months where work is allocated and managed within the team, with the opportunity to learn and develop your practice in a safe and supported environment.
• You will be provided with an intensive support and training package which includes workshops, presentations, interactive training sessions, shadowing opportunities and regular reflective sessions specifically selected and designed to develop your skills and knowledge.
• You will receive a bespoke programme which recognises that Newly Qualified Social Workers will each start at different stages of their professional journey and will need different forms of support to enable them to develop their professional capability and confidence.
• Your last 6-9 months will involve moving out to a mainstream team, but retaining the support and development opportunities available for the whole ASYE year.
• We are also committed to supporting face to face and office working to develop a supportive learning environment.
• Your caseloads will be carefully selected and managed to allow you to apply your learning and progress in developmental areas which have been identified specifically for you.
Amy, joined Salford’s ASYE Academy Team in September 2021 as a Newly Qualified Social Worker. Here’s what she had to say about her experience:
”I was really worried about going into a statutory role with very little experience – especially due to covid. However, in the Academy, the team are fabulous and I feel very supported. The Academy has given me the opportunity for my professional development to grow at a steady rate with really clear guidance, training and support. Listening to some of my friends who have gone to other Authorities, I believe that if I wasn’t in the Academy I would really struggle.”
Amy has now complete her ASYE year. She has spoken about her year as an ASYE in Salford….
“ I feel really settled in Salford. My transition from the Academy to a Duty and Assessment Team was very well managed. My case load increased steadily over the year in line with my own development and it was always manageable. My ASYE year allowed me to work a wide range of cases and I was always well supported when they were more complex. From the start of my ASYE year I was constantly learning but the best thing was this was at my own pace. The whole year was really structured which allowed me to develop my professionalism, confidence and ability. I would highly recommend that Newly Qualified Social Workers join the Academy in Salford when they are starting their Social Work Carer so they too will benefit from the amazing support that I have had.”
We are happy to answer further questions about the role, please email Nichola Arthur, Practice Manager ASYE Academy, at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you would like to arrange an informal chat.
Why Work for Team Salford.pdf
To apply, please complete an application form attaching your CV and supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the role and what you personally bring. Please refer to the role profile to create your supporting statement.
We aim to respond quickly to applications and hold regular interviews to ensure you have the best possible recruitment experience.
The Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to a fully enhanced DBS check.
About your benefits
You will be welcomed into a friendly environment where your personal and professional development will be encouraged and you will have the opportunity to work and grow in a values based organisation where people are at the heart of everything we do. We promote a positive permission culture, empowering you to make a difference. Your opinions matter to us and you will have the opportunity to shape how we do things through our Salford 100 employee group and our employee led redesign approach. Your work-life balance and wellbeing are important to us so you will have access to a range of benefits including flexible working, green travel, pension and salary sacrifice schemes. In addition to this we offer a range of health and wellbeing options to suit your needs.
We are a Covid-safe organisation and you will have an individual risk assessment when you join the organisation to ensure we effectively support your health and wellbeing throughout your employment.
Continuous service commitment
New employees can now keep their service related benefits when moving between a whole host of public sector organisations within Greater Manchester, which include: Councils, NHS, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue, Transport for Greater Manchester, as well as many others.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to developing a culture which respects individuals, appreciates difference and allows everyone regardless of background to reach their full potential. Read more on our diversity and inclusion page.
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the council’s primary Recruitment and Employment Privacy Notice which can be found at https://www.salford.gov.uk/gdpr.