Senior Engineer / Transportation Officer
Highway Reactive Maintenance
Network Asset Maintenance Team
We are seeking to appoint a Senior Engineer / Transportation Officer in the Highway Reactive Maintenance team within the Highways & Transportation Service. The successful applicant will oversee a small team who carry out routine highway safety inspections and arrange reactive repairs. Key aspects of the role include monitoring performance of contractors, working with Utility companies including other key internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have experience of delivering smaller scale maintenance schemes, dealing with complaints, enquiries and service requests from the public and represent the Council in court to defend highway related claims.
The post-holder will review the profile of enquiries, claims and defects and provide service reports, presenting data at stakeholder meetings when required.
We are expecting you to work in a fast paced, changing environment and generally show the following:
• Ability to guide, develop and support a team of highway inspectors
• A working knowledge of GIS systems
• Knowledge of Council policy in relation to safety inspection & repairs with an awareness of other types of highway survey and their purpose
• Experience of dealing with enforcement issues using relevant legislation
• A working knowledge of highway maintenance materials and design specifications
• Experience of reactive repair work including the various options for traffic control
• An understanding of the general principles of highway asset maintenance
• Knowledge of the Council’s Committee structure and approval process
This is a permanent post.
System training and support will be provided.
The successful applicant will be required to carry out regular site visits using their own vehicle and will need the necessary insurance for this type of use. The Council has a scheme in place to reimburse employees who are required to use their vehicle for business purposes.
Working as part of the Network Asset Maintenance team you will be involved in the following:
• Highway reactive maintenance
• Highway drainage maintenance
• Gully cleansing regime
• Contractor performance monitoring
• Representing the team at various meetings
Systems and software we are using:
• Pecos / SAP (financial)
• Kaarbontech (gully maintenance)
• Pitney Bowes, Confirm (asset management system)
• QGIS mapping
• Microsoft Software Suite
• Flexible working environment
• 37 hour working week
• 22 + 2 extra statutory days holiday to start which will increase after 5 years service
• Car allowance
• Employee discounts
• Salary Grade SO1/SO3 (Career Grade) £27,741 to £37,890
To apply or for more information, please click on the link below;
Stockport Council - Valuing Diversity